Montair’s 12-month Integrated Airline Transport Pilot Licence (IATPL) course is a highly structured program, approved by Transport Canada and the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training, designed to streamline a candidate’s training and transition into the commercial aviation industry. The program was developed in consultation with some of the world’s major airlines to ensure that we deliver the highest standard of flight training.
Students graduating the program will have 250 flight and simulator hours, including high-performance aircraft multi-crew training. Each flight has an associated lesson plan clearly outlining the material to be taught, the objectives for each lesson as well as the requirements for completion. Students are monitored through all phases of the curriculum by our experienced instructors to ensure that training has been completed with the utmost care and professionalism. The flight training portion is complemented by a rigorous ground school program consisting of 750 hours of classroom and computer-based instruction.
The IATPL program is unique in that it allows the candidate to write the Airline Transport Pilot Licence written examination at 250 hours. Outside of an IATPL program, an individual would need to acquire 750 hours of flight experience before being allowed to write the ATPL exam – a requirement to become a Captain of larger aircraft. Conversion of many foreign licences is also streamlined with completion of the IATPL program – some countries only requiring completion of an ATPL conversion exam*.
Montair’s IATPL program includes Private Pilot Licence (PPL), Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL), Multi-Engine Rating, Multi-Engine Instrument Flight Rules Rating (Multi-IFR). In addition to the base IATPL program, we provide two options included in the package price:
- Instructor Rating plus 20 hours of multi-crew simulator training
- 10 hours of turbine-powered aircraft training in a KING AIR 90 plus 10 hour multi-crew simulator time
*Students can choose one of the options above
The IATPL program will appeal to career-oriented individuals who are looking to accelerate their careers. The course is full-time and is not suitable for individuals who require flexible schedules or need to work part time. This is a dedicated program for dedicated individuals.
Next program start date: September 3, 2018 Location: Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
Program entry requirements
- Transport Canada Category 1 medical examination, prior to acceptance,
- Minimum 17 years old at time of enrollment (a Commercial Pilot Licence cannot be held in Canada until reaching 18 years old),
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent,
- Successful completion of a language assessment; minimum of ICAO Level 4 proficiency is required to successfully pass the higher phases of the course
- Ability to obtain a Transport Canada Category I Medical Certificate. Note that for the duration of the course the enrollment certificate is only valid if this Medical Certificate remains valid,
- Personal interview with Montair staff to assess the motivation, suitability and dedication of the applicant to the course.
- Fill in the application form
- Applicants selected for interview will be contacted
- Successful applicants must provide to Montair, prior to the course start date, proof of:
- Issuance of an unrestricted Transport Canada Category I Medical Certificate
- Ability to pass Transport Canada Level 4 English proficiency, which may include completion of Montair specified English language training, at the applicant’s cost
- Required academic transcripts and certificates
- Valid passport and/or other government issued identification
- The deposit of required funds on your account at Montair and proof of the availability of funds to complete the course
- Note that student's may require a valid credit card to complete some aspects of the training -- for example to aircraft fuel on extended cross-country flights
- A letter of acceptance will be issued.
- International students need to submit a valid study permit at least 15 days before the program starts
The cost of the course is approximately $77,900* plus taxes. This cost, which includes tuition, most instructional materials, dual and solo flight time, and examination fees will vary depending on aircraft type, fuel costs and flying hours required by a student to complete each of the training phases. The training is divided into nine phases, and students must pay the required tuition fees before each phase of the training.*The current price is promotional and only valid for intakes until April 2018. Montair reserves the rights to change the price without further notice.
Frequently asked questions
Montair’s 12 month IATPL course is designed to streamline a candidate’s training and prepare for transition into an airline career. Students graduating the program will have a total of 250 flight and simulator hours. The course includes the training of Private Pilot Licence (PPL), Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL), Multi-Engine Rating, and Multi-Engine Instrument Flight Rules Rating (Multi-IFR), as well as completion of the Airline Transport Pilot Licence written examinations.
In addition to the base IATPL program, we provide two additional module options, one of which is included in the average package price of approximately $77, 900 CAD*:
Instructor rating, plus 20 hours of multi-crew simulator training,
10 hours of high performance aircraft training in a King Air 90 turbine aircraft, plus 10 hours of multi-crew simulator time.
*Please note that this cost may vary, dependent on prior experience, effectiveness of study habits, aircraft model chosen for completion of training and general student aptitude.
Montair’s IATPL program will appeal to career-oriented individuals who are determined to become the future Captains of the world’s major airlines. Our course is full-time and is not suitable for individuals who require flexible schedules or need to work part- time during the study year.
Yes, we accept overseas students.
In order to be issued with a Letter of Acceptance, which is needed for the student visa application, a deposit of $1,000 CAD must be paid. This will be credited toward the tuition costs.
The requirements are:
• Transport Canada Category 1 medical examination, prior to acceptance,
• Minimum 17 years old at time of enrollment (a Commercial Pilot Licence cannot be held in Canada until reaching 18 years old),
• Secondary school diploma or equivalent,
• Submission of passport copy, resume and current references, along with an application letter,
• Successful completion of a language assessment; minimum of ICAO Level 4 proficiency,
• Personal interview with Montair staff to assess the motivation, suitability and dedication of the applicant to the course.
1. Fill in the application form (www.montair.com/admissions),
2. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted,
3. Successful applicants must provide to Montair, prior to the course start date, proof of ability to fund themselves during the course,
4. A letter of acceptance will be issued,
5. International students need to submit a valid study permit at least 15 days before the program starts.
Upon the completion of enrollment procedures, Montair will issue students a letter of acceptance, which is required when you apply for the Canadian student visa. For visa procedures, please visit the Canadian immigration website at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/student.asp
Yes. All student pilots (including native English speakers) must take the Language Proficiency Test, which is designed to assess a pilot’s listening comprehension, speaking ability, and responses to different verbal scenarios. The cost of examination varies between $50 – $100 (depending on the individual Transport Canada designated examiner). https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/general-personnel-proficiency-2085.htm
IATPL students need to obtain a Category 1 Medical Certificate. Students must pass the medical examination with an Aviation Medical Examiner designated by Transport Canada. We suggest you to complete this as soon as possible after commencing your training to avoid delays. http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca
If you hold a Canadian Private Pilot Licence a maximum of 30 hours (20 hours dual and 10 hours solo) can be deducted. The exact amount of hours deducted will be determined by our flight instructors after a check flight. No other credits can be given.
Students successfully graduating from the program can seek work as commercial pilots in Canada (subject to the any work visa and specific employer requirements). Each airline has its own specific requirements for recruitment and we advise you to contact these airline for further information, should you require it.
The IATPL and/or CPL licences can be converted in some countries. Please contact your national aviation regulator directly for further information.
The cost of the course is approximately $77,900 CAD* plus taxes. This cost, which includes tuition, most instructional materials, dual and solo flight time, and examination fees will vary depending on aircraft type, fuel costs and flying hours required by a student to complete each of the training phases.
Prior to issuing a letter of acceptance, a $1,000 CAD deposit must be paid. The course payments need to be made in full prior to the commencement of each phase.
*Montair reserves the rights to change the price without further notice.
Unfortunately we cannot provide accommodation for self-funded students at the campus as all the dormitories are currently occupied under contract. However, we can provide some links to useful information on-line for local accommodation options in Pitt Meadows and the surrounding areas.
Dependent on what type of accommodation you would prefer, the costs begin at about $700-800 CAD per month for basic rooms; additional utility costs and other expenses may be on top of this.
This is a popular website for room/apartment/house rental: http://www.kijiji.ca/b-room-rental-roommate/british-columbia/c36l9007
You could also look on Craigslist: https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/
The local areas are Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Surrey, Langley, Port Coquitlam and Coquitlam. However, there is only limited bus service to the airport, so you may also wish to acquire a vehicle during your stay if you are planning to live outside of Pitt Meadows.
The processing times vary depending on where you apply from. Please visit the CIC webpage to check the visa application processing time. http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/information/times/index.asp
In addition to the base IATPL program, we provide two other options included in the package price:
1. Instructor Rating; plus 20 hours of multi-crew simulator training
2. 10 hours of high performance aircraft training in a KING AIR 90; plus 10 hours multi-crew simulator time
The students who successfully finishes the ‘Instructor Rating’ course will be offered the opportunity to interview with our Director of Flight Operations, for a flight instructing job at Montair Aviation. If the candidates successfully completes the selection process and has the legal right to work in Canada, he or she may be hired at either our Pitt Meadows or Red Deer base, subject to company needs at that time.
* Please consult with your national aviation regulator for further details regarding licence conversions.
Disclaimer: The program start date can only be confirmed once a minimum number of students are enrolled. Montair reserves the right to cancel this course should there be insufficient student registration numbers. Final confirmation will be provided approximately 6 weeks prior to the proposed start date.