Frequently asked questions

Is flight training right for me?

Whether you want to achieve a lifelong goal of piloting an aircraft or following your dream to become a commercial airline pilot, then flight training is right for you. Learning to fly is a challenge many people aspire to accomplish. Piloting a light aircraft can be a rewarding adventure that is not only fun but can lead to an interesting career and travel opportunities.

Is flying safe?

Aviation is the safest form of public transport. Transport Canada says on its website that aircraft safety has continuously improved since the Second World War and accidents now stand at an all-time low thanks largely to technology improvements like reliable engines and navigation systems.

How do I decide which licence or rating/s I will need?

Step 1. Select a flight school that best suits your needs. Transport Canada has published an excellent article on how to do this. Please refer to the link: Link Here
Step 2. Meet the CFI (Chief Flight Instructor) and discuss your goals and expectations. They will formulate a personalized plan to ensure you reach these goals in an efficient manner.

Are there any minimum age requirements or educational pre-requisites in order to start my flight training?

Yes, there are specific requirements. Please visit Transport Canada website for detailed information.

Do I need a medical?

Yes, students must pass a medical examination with an Aviation Medical Examiner designated by Transport Canada. We suggest you complete this as soon as possible after commencing your training to avoid delays.

I wear glasses; will I be able to get a medical?

Pilots can wear glasses or contact lenses as long as their vision is within the standards set out by Transport Canada.  Please check with your aviation doctor for the requirements.

Must I be proficient in the English Language?

Yes. All student pilots must take the Language Proficiency Test, which is designed to assess students’ listening comprehension, speaking ability, and responses to different verbal scenarios. The cost of examination varies between $75 and $100 (depending on the individual examiner, designated by Transport Canada.)

I’m currently living overseas, will I need a visa to come and study at Montair?

Citizen and Immigration Canada (CIC) require all students who plan to study in Canada (including flight training) for a period greater than 6 months to apply for a student Visa.

The following countries do not need a visa for a stay of up to 6 months:

Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Botswana, Brunei, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (National Passport holders only), Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Portugal, Republic of Korea, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, San Marino, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Spain, Swaziland, Sweden, Slovenia, Switzerland, United States, and Western Samoa.

If your country is not listed above please refer to
Please note that Montair will be happy to issue students with a letter of acceptance, but will not get involved in the visa application process.

Does Montair offer student accommodation?

Unfortunately we cannot provide accommodation for self-funded students at the campus as all the dormitories are currently occupied under contract. However, we can provide some links to useful information on-line for local accommodation options in Pitt Meadows and the surrounding areas.

Dependent on what type of accommodation you would prefer, the costs begin at about $700-800 CAD per month for basic rooms; additional utility costs and other expenses may be on top of this.

This is a popular website for room/apartment/house rental:

You could also look on Craigslist:

The local areas are Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Surrey, Langley, Port Coquitlam and Coquitlam. However, there is only limited bus service to the airport, so you may also wish to acquire a vehicle during your stay if you are planning to live outside of Pitt Meadows.

Will I receive credit for training at another school?

We will give you full credit for any flying completed at another school provided you have a completed log book or pilot training record with details of training certified by the school. Evidence of ground school must be certified in a Pilot Training Record or in another record acceptable to Transport Canada.

Do I have to pay upfront?

Ground school tuition must be paid for on enrolment. Flying is paid for at the end of each flight lesson. We accept CASH, AMEX, VISA, MASTERCARD and INTERAC.

Is the weather in Pitt Meadows suitable for flight training?

Pitt Meadows is one of Canada’s warmest cities; snowfall and sub-zero temperatures are very rare. Spring and summer are exceptionally dry months with very few days of precipitation. The winter months will allow students the opportunity to gain experience flying in a variety of different weather conditions.

How do I convert my foreign pilot licence to a Canadian pilot licence?

For holders of a FAA licence

For holders of a licence from all other states, requirements may vary depending on the issuing country.

What kind of job will I be able to get when I finish my Commercial Pilot Licence training?

Pilot jobs available to new commercial pilots include: bush flying, cargo and passenger flying, seasonal work including pipeline inspections or fire patrol and positions with small regional/charter companies. A great way to accumulate experience is to become a flight instructor. You will need an instructor rating which can be conducted at Montair.

Can I instruct at Montair after completing my commercial licence and instructor rating?

Yes you can, we prefer to hire instructors from our own instructor training program.
Note – employment will be based on an individual’s ability and current position openings.

Send message