International Students

New Intake Starting March, 2022

We are now starting to accept International applications once again! Please review our available trainings and your eligibility.

Perspective students can find the International application form here (Fillable with Adobe Acrobat Reader) and sent back to


As an international student you have a choice of many countries and hundreds of flight schools at which to complete your training, so why should you choose us?

Why Canada?

Montair has trained students from all over the world, particularly from Asia. Our clients are attracted to Canada for its affordable training costs, easier visa entry requirements, highly regarded training standards, beautiful environment and desirable lifestyle.

Montair has two training bases available in Canada: our Pitt Meadows base in British Columbia and our Red Deer base in Alberta.

Why Vancouver, BC?

Vancouver is located on the west coast of Canada and has a much warmer environment than the rest of the country. The surrounding Lower Mainland area is bounded by the Pacific Ocean to the west, mountains to the north and east and is in close proximity to the United States. There is always something to see or do during your free time here!

Why Red Deer, Alberta?

Originally a trading post, Red Deer City is the third largest city in Alberta, mid-point between Calgary and Edmonton, with a population of over 100,000. Named after the Red Deer River which runs through the city, it boasts of 53 miles (85Km) of hiking trails along the river, cannons and creeks. Although temperatures are colder in the winter months than Vancouver, there is less rain and more clear sky days!

Why Montair?

We have extensive experience in training students from all over the world and we are particularly understanding of the challenges in training when English is not your first language.

Montair is one of only approximately 20 schools in the world to achieve accrediatation from the Civil Aviation Adminsitration of China, to train Chinese students. We are also one of only 11 schools certified by Transport Canada to deliver Integrated Airline Transport Pilot Licences – the highest level of training currently offered by flight schools in Canada.

We have the equipment, staff and experience to complete your flight training efficiently and cost-effectively and unlike some other schools, advance payment for your training is not required; it is all “pay-as-you-go”.

Montair has been specifically structured to assist international students with their school admission process, training needs and welfare.

We are one of only a few flight schools to have dedicated staff available to provide advice, guidance and support for overseas students both before and during their training with the school. In addition to a dedicated ‘Student Services Coordinator’ on staff, many of our other administrative staff and instructors have a wealth of cumulative experience in the education sector. Many of these employees are also immigrants to Canada themselves and so understand the challenges of undertaking life in a new country and culture. We currently have staff from China, Australia, United Kingdom, South Korea and Japan.

We can also assist by directing students to legitimate sources of visa and immigration advice, primarily Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). In addition we are happy to advise and direct students to potential accommodation sources, academic advice, pastoral counselling and health care information for their stay in Canada. We also regularly publish local activities and events that may be of interest to our international students.

Do I have to apply for a study permit or visa?
• You will be required to obtain a study visa from your local Canadian Consulate if the projected duration of your training is more than 6 months.
• You do not need to acquire a study permit if your training will be less than 6 months. However, in such cases, depending on your country of origin, you may require a visitor visa.

Please visit the CIC website for further information.

What is the process to obtain a study visa?
1. Contact us with your request here.
2. Once the initial application is reviewed and approved, you will need to provide us a copy of your passport and any current pilot licences or ratings held. This will allow us to courier you a letter of acceptance (LOA).
3. Use the LOA to apply for a study permit at the nearest Canadian Consulate (more information can be found here).
4. Advise us when the application is approved so that we can arrange the start of your flight training in Canada! It is advisable to allow approximately 8-12 weeks for this process to be completed.

More information on the entire process can be found on the Immigration Canada website.

a) British Columbia

MSP is BC’s provincial health insurance plan. Anyone living in BC for six months or longer (including international students) is required by law to enrol in MSP and pay the plan’s premiums. New residents or persons re-establishing residence in B.C. are eligible for coverage after completing a wait period that consists of the balance of the month in which residence is established, plus two months.

If applicable, students should apply immediately after arriving in BC. The application is free but monthly MSP premiums are charged once coverage begins.

Further information is available from the government website:

Students who are not eligible for the MSP program, or for healthcare coverage during the MSP wait period, are strongly encouraged to purchase a private healthcare plan.

b) Alberta

Foreign students may be eligible for AHCIP (Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan).

• Students who have a 12 month Study Permit (valid for an Alberta educational institute) and who will reside in Alberta for 12 months or more are eligible for AHCIP coverage.
• Students with Study Permits valid for more than 3 months, but less than 12 months, may be eligible for AHCIP coverage if their application is accompanied by a letter from the student confirming their intent to reside in Alberta for at least 12 months.
• If the application is received within 3 months of entry into Alberta, coverage is effective on the date of either entry into Alberta or the date signed on the Study Permit, whichever is later.

Further information is available from the government website:

Students who are not eligible for the AHCIP program are strongly encouraged to purchase a private healthcare plan.